During the Sampling unit there have been countless artist, which have
inspired and influenced my work, which has also motivated me to produce samples
and feed my project.
Through my rotations (weave and Embroidery), I looked at a female artist, Debbie
Smyth whose work inspired me greatly. This particular artist has a unique way
of working as she works with thread, pins and fraying materials also manipulates
and overlaps threads within her work to create various range of quality’s using
line.
Debbie’s work looks very scratchy and free hand; it helped me to develop
ideas within my own sketchbook. I began to challenge the way in which I draw. As
well as drawing plain door handles, in which I found simple and boring. Debbie’s
drawings inspired me to use different techniques when looking at line quality
this has and inspired me to further develop my ideas. I chose not use thread
and pins however; I used a fine liner pen to incorporate this idea into my
design.
My drawing techniques added more quality, if I wanted my drawing to look perfect I would of took a picture therefore in order to show a unique way of documenting door handles as you can see in my ‘sampling Debbie smith blog post’ the scratchy effect I believe works well. Debbie’s work has
inspired my whole way of thinking and my drawing techniques thought this
project, which has been a great help when producing my work.
The second artist I looked at was Dash and miller who are fabric designers,
they use a unique approach to the weaving industry and textile industry. Dash
and millers work helped me with my woven work. After researching their work it
helped me to discover many processes in weave when working on looms. Dash and
Miller also use techniques such as hand manipulating, mix media and also screen
print which if I had more time in this area I would further develop my ideas.
One technique, which I discovered, was the repeated pattern, using contrasting
colours I have tried this technique in my own woven work, which I think worked
well as it makes the design pop out.
Though there are many artist to choose from my third artist whom I came
across when traveling to Liverpool was called ‘Lisa Milroy’ I was drawn to her
work as it was quite relevant to me relating to the door handles I had been
looking at. I was looking at door handles for my Sampling unit, her work
represents a material culture in our world objects and things we own can
determine who we are. This I intend to incorporate in my own work
when looking at materials I weave with. I really liked the processes that Lisa
used to create her work, it also helped me in my work as it helped me think
about my compassion and layout when looking at different artist it helped me to
think about my work in a different light.
My drawing techniques added more quality, if I wanted my drawing to look perfect I would of took a picture therefore in order to show a unique way of documenting door handles as you can see in my ‘sampling Debbie smith blog post’ the scratchy effect I believe works well.


No comments:
Post a Comment