Sunday, 15 February 2015

Evaluation;Sampling





Thorough my time in the Sampling unit I went to the following areas Construct and Embroidery.I was set the brief in Feedback week and I went to the following places to which I felt would spark my inspiration, places such as the Manchester Museum, the Holding Gallery along with the Slide induction. In my opinion the Manchester Museum was great inspiration for looking at data and collections, as there is such a wide variety of different collections.During my time traveling to the Museum yet again I began to think in a different way, which was about data collection that could be anything. I was walking when suddenly noticed an unusual looking door handle it was rusty as time has worn it away however I thought about its rustic faded features which I felt added history to this particular handle as this what intrigued me to it in the first place, so I took a photo of it and at that point my idea originated to explore the city capturing wondrous range of door handleshttps://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png. I walked to town taking photos and quick sketches of different door handleshttps://cdncache-a.akamaihd.net/items/it/img/arrow-10x10.png capturing the different qualities of each handle nevertheless when I arrived into central town there where no door handles to be seen everything was automatic or electronic which made me wonder if door handles will one day disappear as they will no longer be needed.My first rotation was Weave were I reflected in what manner could I incorporate my door handles into my woven work, I come to a decision to look at the colours and textures of my handles and to emphasize them however at first it was a struggle to come to terms with even simple weaving pattern as I tend to avoid numbers it something I have always struggled with, I kept forgetting the numbers for my weave however I solved this problem by singing them out like a song singing it out loud sounds silly I know but it really helped me a lot. By different types of yarns and there quality’s I tried to incorporate the same texture and colours of which a handle would have, I achieved this using shiny plastic yearns to represent the cold shiny touch of the handle which I think worked well and also to gave my work a dated look. After testing many different types of yarns I discovered that some yarns are very difficult to weave with, as the yarn was very delicate and kept breaking such as the Moe hair and the fine wool.  My second rotation Embroidery was quite hard to get used to, as there was 10 to 15 samples which in my opioin was quite hard to produce in a week however I managed to complete the task.Embroidery was quite a challenge for me I felt I did not enjoy as much as weave, as I prefer to take my time when producing samples when I rush I tend to make mistake and embroidery is quite hard to correct as you cannot get a rubber and erase it. I really enjoyed both rotations which both had challenges which I felt I rose to these challenges however I wanted to explore weave more thoroughly so I chose it for my last three weeks for my word I decided to choose duality however and explore it within my woven work through colour pattern and much more however I feel as it’s a bit random adding a word on the last three week of sampling.
I have really enjoyed the sampling brief however I will be happy to move on and start a new project as I feel like it has been a long time.  The weekly blog post have helped me so much by helping me to review my work and have confidence with my writing.



No comments:

Post a Comment